Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bloggers Quilt Festival!

AmysCreativeSide.com

I have been slacking a little, but I've always wanted to participate in the Bloggers Quilt Festival, and now I finally have a quilt I think is worthy!

Whirlpool it is!!! I love how this quilt turned out and the story is even better.





Whirlpool is the quilt I made from one honeybun of Tula Pink's Neptune plus Kona Snow and Kona Navy (I don't remember what color the aqua is...it took ages to find a color that "matched")  The binding is Kate Spain's Honey Honey.






This quilt has a great story and almost wasn't.  I was cleaning out the craft cave and came across a fabric bag that contained half finished half square triangles, the remains of a honey bun and a few other things projects that had been started well over a year ago and forgotten.  I gave everything away except these HST's.  I had NO idea what to do with them and brought it to my local quilt group meeting.  I dumped the fabric out and looked at one of the ladies in the meeting and sighed.  She suggested making a zig zag...but there just wasn't enough hst's to do that, so I came up with a plan...I sewed a white half square triangle to every colored triangle to make a square block.  Then I put up a design wall (this quilt was my first foray into designing my own AND diverging from squares, rectangles, etc) and started playing.  I loved this layout and BAM whirlpool was born.  It reminds me of the sunset at the beach with the colors of the water and the corals which mimic the color of the sun as it sets on the water.

The quilt was too small to be a good throw so I added the aqua and the navy borders to bring out the colors of the water.  The coral binding gave it just a POP of color (which I love....) and viola! the quilt top was done.

I straight lined quilted 1/2 inch apart in the negative (white) spaces to continue my "water" theme and in a variegated blue in the border.




Thank you for allowing me to share my pretty quilt with you!!



3 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Love love love your layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun story. I like how it turned out too and the Neptune especially

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colours! Isn't it fun how a quilt develops itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)