Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WIP Wed 3/13

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
It's been a while since I've blogged or done a WIP wed....but I have a BIG OLE FINISH for today's WIP Wed.  I am so so so so so so darn excited too!!

Why wait....let's jump in (warning, picture heavy post!!!)

WHIRLPOOL is DONE!!! as in DONE DONE.  As in ALLLLL FINISHED.  Whoop whoop


I put the quilt on my neighbors beautiful wood fence to photograph it, but the top was cut off. 

Of course it was a windy day so she was blowing allll around

I call this one chicken wire.  It was overcast and raining until I went out to take photos....then it was sunny.  You can see the circles on the back thru the fabric....hence why I think it looks like chicken wire....






A close up of the miles and miles and miles of straight line quilting that I did.  I wanted to give the illusion of water rings echoing out


This quilt is made from one honey bun of Tula Pink's Neptune plus lots of kona white.  Borders are kona (I don't remember what colors) and the border is Kate Spain's Honey Honey.  I have been asked for a tutorial (I didn't make one) and the backstory of this quilt is somewhat funny.

I started this quilt over a year ago.  I have no idea what I intended to do, but I sewed six strips together and then cut them out into half square triangles.  Fast forward to a few months ago I was cleaning the sewing room and found a bag of HST of strips.  NO idea what I intended to do with them, but I brought them to a quilt meeting and asked my cronies what they thought.  One suggested putting them together to make "steps" but I didn't have enough of them to make a decent size quilt, so I put a white HST on the other side and squared them up....then played around with the design until I got this and VIOLA! Whirlpool.  I knew I wanted to straight line quilt (next time I think I want to straight line quilt an entire quilt, echo quilting no less, hit me up side the head) Regardless I love this quilt so so so much.

I'm also working on this beauty for my daughter's new "Big girl room"

This is a photo from pin basting fun last week......I will finish it tonight or tomorrow and post pictures in the very near future!

Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whirlpool quilt! the colors and quilting are excellent. Lovely postage stamp quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted to see such an exciting quilt which just evolved - I think the best quilts happen this way

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)