Wednesday, January 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday 13 in 13



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

It's WIP Wednesday....and I've been rockin and rolling.

My goals for 2013 are to finish 13 UFO's....and I have to say that I am starting off the year successfully!

I finished two!!  (of course they were the easiest two....they merely needed bindings, but I HATE BINDING.  Well, I did.  I dislike making binding, but this time putting it on went veerrrryyyy smoothly.  I'm thinking it's because a) I've got more practice putting bindings on because I've been finishing quilts and b)I've read 952 tutorials online about how to successfully put on a binding.  That's something of an exaggeration, but I've read many.  I KNEW how to put on a binding before (and I cheat and do my binding 100% by  machine) but something on these quilts clicked and my bindings look faaabulous darling. :)  I am quite happy with how they turned out and that they went fairly quickly.  My focus last year was process, and it really has paid off.  My focus this year is progress!!
The first is a simple charm quilt with one charm pack of Hunky Dory and one charm pack of Verna and two charms of Kona Snow.  Crosshatch quilted and bound in green dots!



 This is my neighbors fence.  It's BEAUTIFUL and perfect to photograph quilts!!

Next up on the list of finishes is the Radio Way quilt that I made from a kit I purchased from Julie of Jaybird Quilts
it was SUPER windy the day I decided to take pictures and most of them came out like this!! Not a great way to see a quilt.


All stacked on the pretty fence!

This is how I kept the quilts clean while I took pictures.... improvisation!!! 

AND I finished Neil's quilt.  A few weeks back I posted about how my neighbor Rita brought me a bundle of flannels and how she was going to make a quilt for her hubby but never got around to it.  Neil and Rita take care of us (they are retired and live across the street) and the punk think's they are the bees knees (she goes and visits regularly).  So I finally took the quilt here:
To wash it so that it would look like this:

I love how it turned out!! I don't wash flannel rag quilts at home anymore.  I used to have a washing machine that drained into a utility sink and so I could put an old nylon on the drain and catch all the lint.  I don't have that now and I don't want to have to call a plumber....so I go to the laundromat!
Other than finishes, I've also been working on this beauty

I decided straight line quilting spaced 1/2" apart.  It's tedious but I LOVE the way it's turning out.  I try to work an hour or so a day on it, but some days I miss my goal.  Soon it will be all done and this one is joining my collection of yummy quilts.  I love it too much to give up.


And lastly I've been spending oodles of time in my community garden.  Here is a picture from just before Christmas of the road leading into the garden.  It was BEAUTIFUL in all it's splendor...











3 comments:

  1. Congratulation on your finishes - they look lovely. I prefer straight line quilting over swirly, loopy - great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13 finishes is a great goal. You really are off to an excellent start. I'd be happy with one or two UFO finishes this year LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been having fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)