Monday, October 15, 2012

Pinning! And a winner!

Tonight I bit the bullet and finished the backings for two quilts and sandwiched them.  I'm funny when it comes to backings.  All my quilts have single fabric backings.  I grew up with quilts that all had simple backs and I love the solid look of a single piece of fabric on the back.  Some pieced backings look great to me, but it's just not my gig....I buy loads of a single fabric and make it into the back.

Back to tonight's progress....and my whining!

Oh how I loathe pinning a quilt.  It is the worst part of the whole process to me (followed closely by binding, but that isn't even CLOSE to how icky pinning is!)

I'm dreaming of the day that I can afford a long arm.  Or even a mid arm and a frame.  And when I have somewhere to put it....because while I could probably afford something along those lines, there is just no where in this house to store such a thing. :) Sooo...I can dream, right!?!?!  In the mean time I use this guy:
My basting gun and 1/4 in brads.  I do love it better than safety pins...


I did get the whirlpool quilt pressed and pinned as well as the Radio Way quilt (I didn't take a picture of that one. I was tired and tired of pinning!) Here is whirlpool with her borders on.  A part of me wishes I would have ordered more tula pink Neptune instead of bordering with kona solids...oh well! :) it's done and I'm not going back.  I am quite proud of this quilt....


And we have a winner of the Aurifil thread giveaway!



I usually just buy whatever thread I can find at the local store. It is usually Coats&Clark or ThreadArt. I would love to try Aurifil!



Congratulations Taryn and I have sent you an email.  Thank you to everyone who entered!!

Happy Quilting!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats Taryn...Kenna, have you looked at or tried the sit down longarms? Much less space. I got one in October 2011 and I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks so pretty. I've never heard of a basting gun. It sounds wonderful. I'll have to look around for one as I hate pinning also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the brads easy to take out once you've quilted? =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. oo.. like. lots.
    great questions, too.
    one more.. do you baste with the gun on top of a table? or on the floor? or do you have empty space under?
    sit down longarm? intriguing. link, please?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)