Monday, September 26, 2011

Sunday Funday Craftday!

What a fun way to spend a Sunday...crafting with my girlfriends. 

Let me go back a few weeks...a friend of mine is moving and needed some new furniture for the new place...one being a dining room table.  I am the queen of the garage sale (no really, I am!) and have a "route" through east Long Beach that ALWAYS delivers.  Sometimes better than others, but there is always some treasure to be found.

So a few weeks back we set a girls garage sale day and lunch...and set off leaving the punk with the dude.  We hit the jackpot big time.  We found toys for the punk, and Dana found a really cool leather cedar trunk with amazing nail head detail (sorry I don't have a photo of it) and a dining room set. A fantastically cool (and oh so very ugly) round table, leaf, and 4 chairs.  For $20.  WHOOO HOO. 

Yesterday was the transformation day.  I don't have a photo of the table, but it is a traditional round table with a pedestal bottom.

Here are the chairs in all their ugly glory "before":


They have GREAT lines...but that was their only redeeming quality.  The man we bought them from was uber interesting too...think Elvis mates with the biggest redneck in the USA...and you have this man.  He was the ultimate in redneck junk collectors and had more antique tools than you could shake a stick at.  Including a hand drill and a dentist's chair where he (allegedly) did his own root canals with deep black (thank you lady clarol!) hair and looonnnnnggg sideburns.

All that was missing was the white jump suit.

So back to the table.  Dana knew she wanted the "Shabby Chic" look and we set off to make it happen.

First on the block? Cleaning the chairs with TSP to take off as much grime and smoke and gunk as we could.  Then a coat of Turquoise as our base coat.
(a "clean" chair and a turquoise chair)

After we got all four chairs painted we then took a bar of soap and coated the areas where we didn't want the spray paint to stick.  It made the "distressing" process a lot easier.  We used "Heirloom White" spray paint and covered them with a light coat of a creamy white.

 (sorry, we used a cell phone for the photos!)
Lastly Dana and Breanne used a block of sand paper and distressed the chairs, letting the turquoise shine through while I recovered the seats using the old foam and covering it in two layers of hobbs natural cotton batting and a paisley home dec fabric that Dana found in my stash...




Turned out SOOO Cute IMHO!!

The $20 garage sale find is now a shabby chic masterpiece.  Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the table, but it's just a solid "Heirloom White".  It turned out gorgeous.  Our friend Brianne was trying to think of what she could "revive".  Unfortunately the dude isn't a fan of the shabby chic look and so I'm limited in what I can redo...however I have a plan.  I'm going to find a big ole hutch and redo it for fabric storage, much like the one Laurie Dewberry did here:


I looovvvveee the look.  It's on the list....

Happy Crafting!


2 comments:

  1. Loved Sunday Funday and look forward to the next one! I love the hutch idea. I found a real cool one at a yard sale, drove away to think about it and when I came back it was gone. HUGE REGRET it was absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hutch, I think I need it! Thank you for the help, and letting me shop in Kennas fabric emporium ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)