Sunday, August 14, 2011

Baking Time!

We had a bbq this past weekend and the dessert was definitely the hit of the party!  I've had a few requests for these two recipes, so I thought I'd just post them here for everyone to enjoy!

I do all my baking the day before the party, and for this cake it makes ALL the difference!

Coconut Cake















  • 1 box white cake mix prepared according to package directions
  • 1 can cream of coconut (I couldn't find a small can so I used a cup and a half)
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 tub cool whip
  • 1 cup flake coconut


Prepare cake according to package directions in a 9x13 baking dish.  While cake is baking mix cream of coconut (found in the liquor isle usually.  It's the base for pina coladas) and condensed milk.  Once the cake is finished baking, leave it in the pan and while it is still HOT poke holes (I use a chop stick) approx. 1-2 inches apart all over the cake.
Pour the coconut/milk mixture all over the hot cake.
Let cool completely.  Frost with cool whip and top with flake coconut.

This cake is AMAZING if you make it the day before and serve cool.  Even the dude who isn't a huge fan of coconut LOVES this cake.




Magic Cookie Bars



  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
In a small bowl combine the melted butter and the graham cracker crumbs.  In a parchment paper lined 9x13 pan press graham cracker crumb/butter mixture in a thin layer completely covering the bottom of the pan

Next layer chocolate chips over the graham cracker mixture.

Then sprinkle coconut over the chocolate chips (I tend to use more than the called for coconut)
Also sprinkle nuts (optional, I don't use them!) over the coconut.

Lastly, drizzle the condensed milk over the entire mixture.  I poke a rather large hole in the top of the can (and a vent hole) and drizzle that way.  It takes longer...but I get a better drizzle.

Bake at 325 for approx 25-30 min until coconut is lightly browned. Use a pizza cutter to cut into bars once completely cooled! (I remove the bars from the pan using the parchment paper and cool on a wire rack).

Parchment paper is your friend when you bake....trust me on this one!!!

Happy eating...I'm going back on weight watchers tomorrow (I have been BAD this summer but I haven't gained any back!!) so this is the end of the high fat baking....it's back to our regularly scheduled low fat cooking (not to fret I have some fantastic recipes that are lower in calories/fat/etc!)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)