Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Basics Charity Challenge and other ramblings...


I blog hop.  And on a few of my favorite blogs I've read about "The Basics Charity Challenge" which originated from this post.  In a nutshell, it's a challenge, a call to action.  Find your local shelter and donate.

Donate the basics that we take for granted.  Toilet paper.  Feminine hygiene products.  Paper Towels.


I read it and at first I didn't think much about it, because I do donate.  I donate money to the local rescue mission (more than just at Christmas time, homelessness is on the rise big time) but I also donate to local charities that do great things.

And I donate on a smaller scale.  I religiously donate the unworn, the unneeded, etc.

But then I got to thinking about it.  And then I got to thinking about the punk....and what if I had the punk and didn't have enough? I would be devastated!!  So I gathered a donation to donate here: http://www.preciouslifeshelter.org/home.asp  It's a shelter that is VERY close to my house dedicated to homeless pregnant women and then homeless new mothers.  Most of them are young, and it's definitely pro life (which is funny because I'm staunchly pro choice, only because I believe in the right to have a choice, not because I believe in abortion. It's the ole "Keep your laws off my body" mentality).

In the past I've donated pregnancy supplies I no longer needed, and now I'm about to donate a bunch of diapers, free formula and the dorky formula coupons that I get in the mail (they can use them!).  It's not much to me, but if you think that the 2 cans of formula that I just got in the mail equal about 50 bucks...that's a lot.  I will also buy a big box of wipes while I'm at Costco tomorrow doing the usual run and donate that too....and whatever else that I can find in between now and then for the wee little babies.

In the six months since the punk, I have religiously donated formula and diapers to food banks (they REALLY need them!) because while adults can survive on whatever, a baby can't.  And I have participated in Huggies Every Little Bottom diaper campaign (WIC and such provide food, which is the MOST important.  However, diapers, to me, are a close second!)

So please, if you haven't already signed up....please do.  You don't have to comment or sign up to win (Altho some of the well known (and not so well known) companies are donating prizes, do it because of the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you donate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and leaving comments....they seriously make my day. Please make sure you are not a no reply blogger so I can comment back! :)